Sunday 25 April 2010

Question 4: Who would be the audience for your media product? and Question 5 - How did you attract and adress your audience?

My media product was a magazine of rock magazine, fitting in with the genres of magazines like Kerrang! and Rocksound. I researched into my audience, and into the genre of music i wanted my magazine to be about.
My target audience are both male and female of around 15 to 25. I did however realise some people may be in some rare cases younger, or even older than 25. For instance, people in bands may reach the mature age of 60 but still read the magazine to see what the competition is. I said that the audience would be probably students, and in a stage of their life where they have a lot to say but not much idea as to where they want to be in life. On the jicnar scale they would be around the C's with a few D's in the audience. They would take a great time investing on their social life, but still spend time with their family. I think they have a sense of individuality, but still be quite mainstream in the sense that most of the music they listen to, so does everybody else, so it cant be that different to everyone.

I think that this is a stereotypical image of the perfect person of my target audience. He's trendy, he wears expensive clothing and he spends alot of time going out to gigs and social events. But he goes to college full time and is enrolling to university, and has good GCSE's. He loves music, and loves unknown bands and most mainstream bands. He reads magazines like Kerrang! and Rocksound and has a job.







In attracting my audience, I firstly had to make sure everything visual was fitting in terms of my audience. For instance, I couldn't put in lots of pink and glittery images if my audience was for males aswell. I made sure everything fitted, and looked like belonged to a rock magazine. To guide me I used the magazines Rocksound and Kerrang! They really provided me with a good layout template and a good idea as to what I needed to do.




In these two covers, you can see the similaritys and the differences clearly. Looking at my front cover firstly, we can see that I used a sans serif font all te way through my magazine. This was to suit my audience, and it connotated friendliness, and casuality. I also used a simple font colour, keeping them all complimentary and stylish. I chose light brown for my main font colour because it was a colour rarely shown on magazines, and I thought it looked good with the background of the main image. Everything I wrote was in a casual, yet grammically correct way. I did this because the people reading my magazine wouldnt be too worried about the formality, but I was very conscience of the fact that the text was the main thing people brought the magazine for, as it provided the information they craved. So i made sure everything was spelt right, and that is was all easy to read. The photograph I used as my background was one I had taken of my friends Kiall and Emily. I used my own SLR camera, and I took around a 100 photographs to get this main one. I also feature these in the contents page, and on my double page spread. I think that the picture looks very typical of a rock magazine, as it doesnt portray very much emotion, and they are stood next to each other in a powerful sort of way. I feel like it appeals very much to the audience, as they look like teenagers, but that means they could be inspirational to everyone, as they have made onto the front cover of a magazine. I also had pictures Ive taken of bands before, the first one being a picture from the band LOSTPROPHETS signing. I took it on my friends digital camera, and at the time I was just taking it because I wanted to. But as i took on this project, I realised it was something I could use to fit in with my theme. The other picture was taken at a gig of the band The Blackout. It was also another unintentional photograph but i realised I could use.




My contents page had to be kept inline with my theme and style with my front cover. I couldnt change the colours or the font as it would make it seem odd and would really make the audience become confused and unattracting to my magazine. I looked at the contents pages of Kerrang! to see if they kept the same styling too. I found out that all the colours are the same, and pictures relate onto the contents page too. Everything fits in and keeps the magazine flowing. I took this upon myself to keep everything the same as my contents page, and i think that i did acheive this. I kept the colours the same, the font the same, the photographs similiar and I made sure that it would be visually exciting. I made some of the titles and subtitles slightly larger that other writing as it would become eye catching, and my audience would be intrigued. The connotations I got from Kerrangs! contents page is that it was simple, exciting and intriguing. The main thing about Kerrang! is that its almost like a small community, and everyone feels welcome. So i wanted to maintain that in my contents page. I used a very clean layout style, using no messy boxes to outline anything, just keeping everything in an order and simple.


My double page spread held not alot of text. I did this because whilst researching into my different magazines I found out that Kerrang! used a double page spread to introduce each feature they do on a band, and I thought to make my magazine as real as possible I would try and do this. It gives a dramatic enterance for tha band, and it does look very stylish. I think Ive managed to create a good double page spread, in line with everything Ive just said. I edited the pictures in photoshop to give them the right look, and to make sure that they fitted well with the pictures from the front cover and contents page. I then put the pictures onto my pages using Quark Express. I used the layout that Kerrang! used for the double page spread I looked into. It was stylish, yet very appealing to the target audience. I made sure the text I used was relevant for the band, and it put through the right kind of attitude i wanted my readers to feel when they read about the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment